Friday, February 10, 2017

A Bear For Sunday


I will have a bear ready for Ebay auction on Sunday evening. She is not quite done yet, but just about, I have a couple of work in progress photos to show you.

IMG_0801 (Edited)
You can see in this photo above the process of rooting the fur into the needle felted wool. The bears faces from about 1/2 way back to their ears is sculpted with the wool and a barbed needle. This little girl has open close eyes and and open close mouth, it is all done with the wool. It is a big job putting all that fur back. I can use the different colors of fur as I work, and I love the way that looks, so it is all worth the effort to me.

IMG_0809
This photo above was from last night. She is holding the fur for me as I root it inside her ears. The baby black bears have a light fur sticking out of the inside of their ears.

Today I will finish up with her shading, and hopefully tomorrow the weather will cooperate and I will get some good pictures. I like to use natural light. That was never a problem in Arizona where it was always sunny. Now I live in Pennsylvania and most days where I live in the winter it is cloudy. It makes picture taking day a real chore.

I am unsure right now how many bears will be done in 2017. This little one may be the last one you see for a few months. I have said before that I have another business. As that business grows it requires more attention, and my bear making time dwindles. This little bear took me almost two months to complete, and that was using most of my free time at night and on weekends. I cannot continue like this. I can feel myself becoming burned out, and I don’t want that to happen. Bear making for me needs to be a joy, not a burden.

Whatever happens with the bears I appreciate all the support I have had over the years from the collectors and artists both.

I will post a link on Sunday.

6 comments:

  1. Joanne she is just amazing. Of course you need to dedicate time to your business but the bear making has to be enjoyable and you cannot do that if you are tired. I think everyone would understand you not having the time to make as many as you used to x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. The other business really pays the bills. I would be hungry if I depended on the bears for that. I hope everyone is as understanding as you.

      Delete
  2. Fully understandable, Joanne, if you tries to create something and you are too tired you cannot pour yourself into it and it usually does not work out well. Glad the other business is doing well. I will wait in the wings for the bears that do come to life! haha. xxxmuch love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are so right. I never want that to happen.

      Delete
  3. Your new bear is gorgeous, Joanne. Lovely face. Definitely keep your bears enjoyable. I think that is one of the most important things and shows up in ones work. Glad I can see you here, though. I've missed seeing you on fb but totally understand needing to be away from it. A growing business is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ev, A growing business is a good thing. We have been at this one for quite a few years now. My husband just cannot keep up with as much as he was any longer.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit. Your comments are always welcome.