Tuesday, January 3, 2017

First Bear of the Year


Purchasing fur for the bears is never an easy chore. Mohair is my favorite fur to work with, but it is hard to find the color, length, and density I need for a more real looking bear. The solution is to dye the fur.
My first bear of the year began in this beautiful soft long gold fabric, now a lovely perfect shade of brown.
IMG_2342
It has been almost a month now since I have been away from Facebook. I am finding more time to work on the bears. Things get done so much earlier in the day, and hopefully that will leave me more time post updates here on the blog. Instead of sitting with my coffee checking Facebook to see what I missed while I slept, I come here and visit the blogs I follow. It is a slower more personal experience, and I remember how much I enjoyed it.

13 comments:

  1. Hallo dear friend! missed you! this fur looks really lovely,looking forward to the new creations! the monarch caterpillars are doing splendidly! will send pics to PM FB i do not think i can post them here...speak soon! much love and hugs. Lindi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lindi. I wish you could post photos here. I will be on the lookout for yours, I would love to see them.

      Delete
  2. Looks intriguing! Can't wait to see the finished bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Anne, hopefully it will not be too long.

      Delete
  3. Hi Joanne,
    I love the color, it looks great, so natural.
    I'm happy to read from you here on blogspot. Thanks for blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color you got by dyeing the mohair. I have never tried dyeing mohair before. I purchased some really lovely dense "wildmohair" Steiff Schulte mohair a few years ago from Pro Bear in Germany. I don't know if they have a length you would like, but maybe they carry something that would suit your bears. I really liked working with Pro Bear, and I can order mohair by the centimeter (I think that's how it works). I'm enjoying seeing you blogging again. I need to get back into blogging myself and see what others are up to. I'd like to spend less time on Facebook and more time on my bears. You're an inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Debora. I have not ordered from them before, I will have to go and check their site. I am always looking for fur that will work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New bear is looking extra special. Totally understand re fb..does take up a lot of time x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful brown, Joanne. Do you use Procion MX dies for mohair? I haven't really dyed much except cotton. It does make for greater possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ev, for this bear I used Rit dye. This mohair was not dense enough to use the Cushing's dye which is my other dye. The Procion only dyes cotton. Cushing's dyes mohair but not cotton, so I needed something to dye the back. Rit dyes everything but it is a real pain to rinse it all out. It is very hard to find natural looking bear colors in mohair so dyeing is something I don't love but have to do. This was dark brown Rit dyed over an old gold mohair.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to visit. Your comments are always welcome.